In 1923, Frank and Noel Terry joined the family business, Terry’s of York. They revamped the company, and after opening the Art Deco-style factory The Chocolate Works in 1926, began launching new products. The first was the Chocolate Apple (1926), then the Chocolate Orange (1931), and finally Terry’s All Gold (1936).
At the onset of World War II, confectionary production was immediately halted. The factory was taken over by F Hill’s and Son’s of Manchester as a shadow factory, to manufacture and repair aircraft propeller blades.
With the factory handed back to the company post-war, production was difficult due to continued rationing in the United Kingdom, and limited imports of raw cocoa. As a result, in 1954 production of the chocolate apple was phased out in favour of increased production of the chocolate orange.
In the North American market, where it has had a variety of importers over the years, it was briefly sold as a Tobler (maker of the Toblerone) product.
Since 2005, Chocolate Orange products have been manufactured near Jankowice, Poland.5 Comments